Pirated Copy of P90X vs. The Real Deal
Pirated copy on the left and the copy I purchased from my
coach page (directly from Beachbody) on the right.
As I mentioned in a previous post (here), before I decided to become an Independent Fitness Coach for Beachbody I wanted to start the P90X fitness program. I also wanted to try to save a little money by buying used. I decided to buy from Amazon. I had no idea that I was supporting criminals and buying a pirated copy. And like I said before, I'm going to be buying this type of thing from the source from now on. It is pretty impressive how well these "pirates" do in replicating the original program, but the price will reflect itself immediately and over time.
In reading reviews from many others who have also accidentally purchased bootleg copies of P90X, I found a few alarming facts:
- Some of the DVD's might be missing, and even if they do all come in the package some may not even work on the first try.
- Some people reported that their DVD's worked fine at first, but one by one they would stop playing.
- Some reported that the bootleg copies would only play on their lap top computer.
- The food guide in the "Nutrition Plan" book has some missing/incorrect information that messes with equations. And the guide books are FILLED with typos.
- Beachbody does not offer support for any products purchased outside of Beachbody.com or their coaches. I read many angry reviews about people who bought from places like Ebay, Amazon and Craigslist, and then when their "P90X" had issues they called Beachbody. Of course, Beachbody knows how rampant the pirating is, and is not going to support this. (On the other hand, if you purchase materials from Beachbody's website or their coaches they offer great support if there are any problems with the products.)
- And so on...
I purchased the copy of P90X from Amazon.com on October 15th. It took 2 weeks to get to me! I was starting to think that it wouldn't come. When it did come there was no invoice, only this note (without a signature.) A very suspicious note, in my opinion.
Luckily, after contacting the seller he issued me a refund and told me that I did not need to return the product. I reported the seller to Amazon anyway, because after reading this seller's reviews from other clients, it was obvious that this was not the first copy of P09X they have sold on Amazon.
As soon as I realized I had purchased this bootleg copy, I bought a real copy. It came quickly, in only 3 or 4 days and was packaged well. Just in time too!
Now for the comparison:
Pirated copy on the left, actual copy on the right
vs. Real copy
I knew that I had a pirated copy as soon as I opened the box and saw Tony Horton's name spelled "Tony Horon"! Come on Piraters, of all the things to misspell...Plus all of those missing spaces and a bad print job.
vs. Real copy
Pirated Copy: The whole box came shrink wrapped, but none of the items inside were.
vs. the Real copy. The box was not shrink wrapped, but all of the items inside were.
The pirated copy had strange little plastic covers on all the DVD's
The Real copy does not
This is center of the DVD case on the pirated copy. The DVD case came looking worn and damaged.
Vs. the Real copy: The DVD case was shrink wrapped and brand new looking. Plus a much better print job.
Pirated copy: All of the materials have an inferior print quality.
Vs. Real copy
Pirated copy: It's truly amazing how terrible the guide books are duplicated. They are filled with typos.
Vs. the Real copy: Good thing the editors at Beachbody completed HS. ;)
My real copy came not only with 2 bonus workouts (located on the "How to Bring It" intro DVD), but also this free "One on One" workout sample.
Going along with how the pirated copy's materials are inferior in quality. The pirated copies feel more like magazines. When I picked up the real copy's guide books I immediately noticed a difference. They are actual paperback books and feel heavier. The print job in them is even, professional, and well edited.
And just an FYI- P90X is not the only Beachbody product that has been boot-legged. It's always best to buy from the source. In general, you get what you pay for. Sometimes spending more is an investment, and can even save you money in the long run.
Or any of their other great programs. I am a Independent Beachbody Coach and an authorized distributor of their products. To see my official Beachbody Site click here.